Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day!!!!!!

On this great day -- for I am an American and proud of it!! -- two quotes from John Adams.
These quotes come from the book The Spirit of '76 edited by Peter Lowell Beilenson.


The second day of July of 1776 will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America; I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illumination from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.

And:

Sir, before God, I believe that the hour is come. My judgement approves this measure, and my whole heart is in it. All I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope, in this life, I am now ready to stake upon it; and I leave off as I began, that live or die, survive or perish, I am for the Declaration.

Pray for America, and go read the Declaration!

No comments:

Post a Comment