Saturday, April 14, 2018

Happy Birthday, Treadle On

20 years ago today a place called Treadle On was created.  Internet Archive can show you how the site looked, for it has changed since then.  I joined in the 8th year (2006) and so was not around at its inception.  I will say the mythical place of Olde Treadleonia has often been a refuge for me in this crazy world.

That said, I celebrated today in proper style.  I sewed on my Minnesota C treadle -- aka Uncle Charlie's treadle.
  

So what did I work on?  Well, some years ago, a wonderful Onion (Treadle On members are called "Onions" -- long story) posted a link to a book of embroidery patterns that looked neat.  She said she's never do it but thought someone would enjoy looking at them.  Well, I did and I bought the book.  Helen at Bustle & Sew had designed a series of Rosie and Bear for Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee.

My grandpa had died some months before, and the book made me think of my grandma, who died in 2009.  So I read the book, and a nagging thought "I could do this" kept running through my mind.  Grandma taught me to embroider when I was about 10, but it was something I didn't do because I wasn't very good at it.

I had that book for a year and read it faithfully.  Then CNV (choroidal neovascularization) struck and I lost my eyesight in my left eye temporarily.  Let me tell you it is no joke that there are times one's life goes before one's eyes.  Mine certainly did, in the 3 days it took me to pull it together and get my desire to fight back.  So, in 2015, once my vision had responded to the shots, I began embroidering (and I found out I was better than I thought.  I think.)

I am only talking about a few blocks here.  The rest (including the unfinished USA) can be found here: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24805158

I got a lot of questions while working on these.  I was asked if I was Canadian a few times.  Not the first time I've heard that!  (Mostly I was asked when I was around Oakland County.)  I live in Michigan close to Canada, and we can get some Canadian tv channels, but that's about it.  (It's Hockey Night in Canada right now!!  Woo-hoo!)    I've been accused of sounding Canadian once in a while, too.  I guess there's something weird about an American embroidering blocks from around the Commonwealth.

Anyway, here is Canada #1:

Then the finished Canada:

Notice anything??


I had finished the block by the time The Tragically Hip played the August 20, 2016 Kingston show, but I wanted to commemorate it.  A maple leaf balloon with "Hip '16" in silver seemed like the best way to do so.  One of Gord Downie's suits was silver during the tour.  (I watched the show on CBC.)  Yes, Virginia, I am a Hip Head.

I ran out of time today and so the only block I have left to finish is the USA block.  If I didn't love some of the other things, George Washington would have been reason enough to do this project.

I'll post the finished picture when it is done.

It's actually fitting to have worked on this today, Treadle On's anniversary.  I have gotten to know people from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Britain (where one of my former school mates now lives.)   The Canadian flag fabric was a gift at my first Michigan TOGA from some of our Canadian members, so only fitting I used it.  

Happy Anniversary Treadle On!  May there be many more.


3 comments:

  1. I celebrated, but, not with a people powered machine. I did use a machine from 1939, so, not too far away from onion status. I remember you brought a couple of blocks to the last TOGA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking back, I had a bunch left to embroider, if I remember right. I brought them for advice for setting in the fabrics.
      The first machine I turn to anymore is my Minnesota C. I have an electric machine, Bill's grandma's Kenmore, but we are working on re-wiring it. It's a miracle it didn't cause a fire. It's a ca. 1959 pink machine.

      Delete
  2. How fun is that post!! I do not remember taking that fabric to the TOGA, but I remember having it lol. So much fun those embroidered blocks! My Mom taught me embroidery and I still do it off an on as I really love doing it :-). Great blocks!!

    ReplyDelete